Diseases and Pathogens of Eucalypts
A comprehensive review of our current knowledge of the health and diseases of eucalypts.
Over the last fifty years, there has been an increasing recognition that eucalypts are vulnerable to a wide range of diseases. They have suffered destructive epidemics, particularly of dieback caused by the cinnamon fungus in native forests, of foliar diseases and cankers in plantations, and of dieback of remnant trees on agricultural and grazing land. + Full description
This has stimulated intensive research into the causes and management of diseases of the eucalypts. This work represents a comprehensive review of our current knowledge of the health and diseases of eucalypts.- Short description
No longer available in a print edition.
“This well-written, beautifully illustrated, carefully organized book thoroughly covers both eucalyptus diseases and a great deal of basic biology and management information for this complex, highly variable, and increasingly important genus.”
D.F. Karnosky, Michigan Technological University (Choice v.38 no.8 Apr 2001)
“Much has been written about different eucalypt diseases, but now, for the first time, we have a comprehensive, multi-authored manual that draws all this material together into one convenient compendium. … The contributors of this meticulous work are to be congratulated on producing an attractive, handy and valuable reference book, which promises to remain a classic text for many years to come. In drawing attention to gaps in our present knowledge it well also undoubtedly function as a guide to future research directions and the promotion of eucalypt health.”
IA Hood, K Dobbie, E Hay, and others, New Zealand Forest Research Institute (Forest Science v.47 no.2 2001)
“This work represents a comprehensive review of our current knowledge of the health and diseases of eucalypts.”
Bois et Forets des Tropiques no.271(1) 2002
“ … remarkable for its breath of coverage and a refreshing change from many surveys of pathogens of particular crops as a result. … A must for those actively involved in the establishment and management of eucalypt plantations within their native areas and worldwide.”
Mycol. Res. 106 (4) April 2002
DetailsePDF | October 2000
Publisher: CSIRO Publishing
- Comprehensive introductory section on the economic importance, the biology, genetic diversity, ecology, physiology and silviculture of eucalypts as a basis for the diagnosis and management of disease.
- A review of eucalypt diseases, their causes and biology including diseases caused by fungi, bacteria, viruses, phytoplasmas and nematodes.
- A section on management of eucalypt diseases in nurseries, plantations and native forests and woodlands.
- Coverage of diseases resulting from nutritional disorders and other abiotic factors.
- A chapter on mycorrhizas of eucalypts.
- Flower, fruit and seed infections and diseases associated with eucalypt propagation.
- Decline associated with infestation by mistletoes and other parasitic plants.
Section I: The Eucalypt – Their Importance, Diversity and Biology
- Economic and Social Importance of Eucalypts
- Morphology, Phylogeny, Origin, Distribution and Genetic Diversity of the Eucalypts
- Growth Habits and Silviculture of Eucalypts
- Ecology of Eucalypt Regeneration
- Physiology of Eucalypts in Relation to Disease
- Mycorrhizas of Eucalypts
Section II: The Diseases of Eucalypts – Their Causes and Biology
- Diseases and Fungi of the Reproductive Structures of Eucalypts
- Disease during Propagation of Eucalypts
- Fungal Diseases of Eucalypt Foliage
- Canker Diseases of Eucalypts
- Diseases of Eucalypts Caused by Soilborne Species of Phytophthora and Pythium
- Woody Root Rots of Eucalypts
- Stem and Butt Rot of Eucalypts
- Diseases of Eucalypts Associated with Viruses, Phytoplasmas, Bacteria and Nematodes
- Mistletoes and other Phanerogams Parasitic on Eucalypts
- Nutritional Disorders and other Abiotic Stresses of Eucalypts
- Eucalypt Diseases of Complex Etiology
Section III: Management of Eucalypt Diseases
- Management of Eucalypt Diseases – Options and Constraints
- Management of Disease in Native Eucalypt Forests and Woodlands
- Management of Phytophthora cinnamomi during Bauxite Mining in Eucalyptus marginata Forest – A Special Case
- Management of Disease during Eucalypt Propagation
- Management of Disease in Eucalypt Plantations
Fungi and other Microorganisms (Actinomycetes, Bacteria, Oomycota, Phytoplasmas) Index
Plant IndexSubject Index