Zoological Catalogue of Australia Volume 37.2
Aves (Columbidae to Coraciidae)
This is the first of four proposed volumes that will catalogue the birds of Australia. It contains a wealth of detail about the complex nomenclature and includes informative qualifications and taxonomic decisions. The Catalogue also documents type localities, distribution, ecology and bibliographic references.
The authoritative work, compiled by world experts, is the culmination of many years of research and will be much in demand as the directory to the status of knowledge on the Australian fauna.
". . . this series is bound to be the authoritative reference for avian taxonomy in Australia for many years."
Ostrich 68 (1), 1997
"Anyone wanting to learn about the characters and biology of Australian birds will find the Catalogue an invaluable starting point."
Australian Bird Watcher
- comprehensive introductions
- 14 families, 12 subfamilies, 10 tribes
- 130 living indigenous and established feral species
- over 200 genus available names
- over 700 species available names
- nomina nuda, incertae sedis and taxa confirmanda
- subgeneric arrangements
- subspecific arrangements
- alternative taxonomic arrangements
- many new taxonomic and nomenclatural decisions
- synonymies, with authorities
- detailed qualifications of the status of names
- location and status of type material
- new type designations
- type localities
- summaries of distribution and ecology
- ecological keywords
- extensive literature citation