Biomedical Physics in Radiotherapy for Cancer
Brings together three major disciplines in radiation oncology: radiotherapy physics, radiobiology and clinical trials.
The scientific and clinical foundations of Radiation Therapy are cross-disciplinary. This book endeavours to bring together the physics, the radiobiology, the main clinical aspects as well as available clinical evidence behind Radiation Therapy, presenting mutual relationships between these disciplines and their role in the advancements of radiation oncology.
No longer available in a print edition.
"Reading most chapters is a pleasure as there are many surprises and references one may not be aware of. There is nothing comparable on the market and it will proof to be an excellent resource for clinical and academic physicists and oncologists. It is an ambitious book that succeeds."
Tomas Kron, Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine (2012) 35, pp. 251–252
DetailsePDF | February 2012
Publisher: CSIRO Publishing
ePUB | February 2012
Publisher: CSIRO Publishing
- Updated information on radiotherapy physics, technology and radiobiology and clinical trials
- Explanation of the rationale in using radiation in the treatment of cancer
- Presentation of three major disciplines in one book
- Easy accessibility to information for both under-and postgraduate students to use in their courses
- Textbook for oncology medical registrars in their preparation for specialist exams
- Comprehensive overview of the major aspect of treatment with radiotherapy: useful tool for all novices in the area (doctors, physicists, radiation therapists, nurses, and any scientists with interest in radiation oncology)
- Inclusion, summary and findings of major clinical trials conducted recently in relation to specific topics
Contents1 Interactions of radiation with matter
2 Elements of radiobiology
3 Elements of radiotherapy physics
4 Tumour characteristics, development and response to radiation
5 Fractionation and altered fractionation in radiotherapy
6 Three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy: technical and physics aspects of treatment
7 Image guided radiotherapy: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
8 Intensity modulated radiotherapy: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
9 Brachytherapy: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
10 Stereotactic radiosurgery: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
11 Total body irradiation: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
12 Electron therapy: radiobiology and physics aspects of treatment
13 External beam hadron radiotherapy
14 Fast neutron therapy
15 Targeted radiotherapy for cancer
16 Palliative radiotherapy
17 Predictive assays
18 Elements of health physics
View the full table of contents.