CSIRO Publishing views the relationship with authors as a partnership in which both parties benefit. Our role is to add value to an author´s work by:
- Managing the peer-review process
- Copy editing the content using scientifically trained, professional editors
- Laying out the material to maximise readership and accessibility
- Adding reference links and downloadable citation data to digital content
- Promoting to the broad scientific community
- Managing the subscription process
- Distributing the result throughout the world in electronic and print formats
To protect the significant investment by both parties, CSIRO Publishing requires an exclusive, worldwide Licence to Publish that clearly stipulates our rights and the specific rights retained by our authors. Authors retain the right to:
- Use the work for non-commercial purposes within their institution subject to the usual copyright licencing agency arrangements
- Use the work for further research and presentations at meetings and conferences
- Use the illustrations (line art, photographs, figures, plates) and research data in their own future works
- Share print or digital copies of their work with colleagues for personal use or study
- Include the work in part or in full in a thesis provided it is not published for commercial gain
- Place his/her pre-publication version of the work on a pre-print server
- Place his/her pre-publication version of the work on a personal website or institutional repository on condition that there is a link to the definitive version on the CSIRO Publishing web site.
Authors may also order hardcopy reprints of their papers at the time they complete author corrections. Authors may create links to their papers from their personal webpages.
CSIRO Publishing supplies the corresponding authors with a free PDF of their paper upon publication. This file can be used to:
• send to individual colleagues for non-commercial purposes
• print out and distribute to colleagues attending any conference presentation you make
• include in a course pack, subject to the usual copyright licensing agency arrangements.
However, the PDF may not be included on any website or on any server, including an institutional repository without prior approval.
Authors are expected to clear all third party intellectual property rights and obtain formal permission from their respective institutions before submission, where necessary.
View the general Licence to Publish.
For journals published in partnership with societies, select the appropriate Licence to Publish:
- Australian Health Review
- Australian Journal of Primary Health
- Australian Mammalogy
- Exploration Geophysics
- Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Historical Records of Australian Science
- International Journal of Wildland Fire
- Journal of Primary Health Care
- The Rangeland Journal
Authors of all other material (books, CD-ROMs, etc.) will be invited to negotiate a contract for their work with CSIRO Publishing.
Authors in selected journals may also choose to publish their papers Open Access.
For all papers marked as Open Access, you are free to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work - under the following conditions.
Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
Non Commercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
- For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Any of the above conditions can be waived if you obtain permission from CSIRO PUBLISHING. Contact the Permissions Manager.
- Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author´s moral rights.
You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
To the maximum permitted by law, CSIRO excludes all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it. CSIRO limits any liability that cannot be excluded to resupplying the information or paying the cost of having the information resupplied.
CSIRO Publishing has taken reasonable care to ensure that all digital content is error-free and up-to-date when posted on the server, but accepts no responsibility for corruption of this material caused by its transmission or processing by Institutions or Subscribers.
CSIRO Publishing will make all reasonable efforts to make the server available to institutional and personal subscribers on a 24-hour basis, excluding normal network administration and system down-time, but if access is suspended or interrupted, liability shall be limited to restoring access to the server as soon as reasonably practicable.
CSIRO Publishing reserves the right to refuse access to digital content to any institutional or personal subscriber who has not made reasonable attempts to comply with the licence conditions for using online content.
You may already be a valued customer of CSIRO Publishing. If not, we hope you will become one! Either way, we would like you to understand our commitment to what we do and the guarantee that backs all our products.
Our products are authored and peer-reviewed by some of the top scientists and science writers in the world. The content of every product is checked and enhanced to meet stringent editorial and design standards. We take great pride in the quality of the intellectual content and physical production standards that we have set for both print and electronic products, and proudly offer the following guarantee to show our commitment to meeting your expectations:
We guarantee that:
- Personal cheque or credit card data will be treated efficiently and sensitively to insure the safety of personal details.
- We will not sell or give customer contact details to any third parties.
- Credit card orders made online are processed through a state of the art, secure server called eWay which has been created by one of Australia´s leading software developers.
- Processing of the actual credit card transaction is managed by Westpac, one of Australia´s major banking institutions with a strong commitment to customer service and provision of e-commerce services.
We guarantee that:
- All orders will be processed and despatched from Melbourne within two working days, when in stock.
- All overseas orders will be sent business airmail.
We guarantee that:
- If you are not completely satisfied with any product ordered from CSIRO Publishing, you may return your purchase within 14 days of receipt for a full refund of the product price. If you wish to return a book, please contact our Customer Service Department on 1300 788 000. We are unable to provide a refund or exchange for products that are not returned in saleable condition.
By visiting and using the information at this website you agree to the following:
Intellectual Property Laws Protect this Site
Copyright in the material available at this site is owned by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and third parties, and may only be used in the ways described in this legal notice:
- You may take temporary copies necessary to browse this site on-screen.
- Unless otherwise stated, you may download or print a single copy of CSIRO-copyright material for research or personal use.
- You must not change any of the material or remove any part of any copyright notice.
Trademarks used on this site to describe firms and their products are trademarks of those firms or the registered proprietor of the trademark.
Always Check the Information
Information at this site:
- Is general information provided as part of CSIRO´s statutory role in the dissemination of information relating to scientific and technical matters
- Is not professional, scientific, medical, technical or expert advice
- Is subject to the usual uncertainties of advanced scientific and technical research
- May not be accurate, current or complete
- Is subject to change without notice
- Should never be relied on as the basis for doing or failing to do something.
Links are not Endorsements
Linking to and framing of this site are permitted, but CSIRO reserves the right to prevent linking or framing by giving notice.
Links and frames connecting this site with other sites are for convenience only and do not mean that CSIRO endorses or approves those other sites, their content or the people who run them.
Beware of Security Risks and Computer Viruses
The World Wide Web exists across insecure, public networks and there is a risk that:
- Transmissions to or from this site may be intercepted and modified by third parties
- Files obtained from or through this site may contain computer viruses or other defects.
Use of digital products published by CSIRO Publishing is subject to the following terms and conditions.
Copyright in the product is the property of CSIRO and others and is subject to all applicable intellectual property rights. The Licencee has the right to make one backup copy of the product.
Content within the product may be used for the purposes of operating the product only and may not be extracted for any other use. In no event shall the product be transferred, assigned, rented, resold, sub-licenced or otherwise dealt with other than as provided by these conditions. Retransmission, caching or networking of online versions is strictly prohibited, unless negotiated with CSIRO Publishing.
The Licencee shall not reproduce, disassemble, format, adapt, modify, decompile, reverse engineer, translate or improve the product.
If, within fourteen (14) days from the date of delivery, the Licencee returns the product, CSIRO Publishing shall either:
- Replace the product, where the product is defective, or
- Return the purchase price.
Any replacement of the product will be warranted for another fourteen (14) days.
No Warranty as to Results
CSIRO Publishing makes no warrant, promise, representation or undertaking regarding the use of, or reliance upon, the results of the use of the product. In particular, CSIRO Publishing does not warrant or represent that any results will be correct, accurate or reliable. Purchasers acknowledge that they have relied upon their own skill and judgement in deciding to acquire the product.
No promise, representation, warranty or undertaking has been made or given by CSIRO Publishing in relation to the profitability of, or any other consequences or benefits to be obtained from, the delivery or use of or reliance upon the results of the use of the product or as to its merchantability or its fitness for any purpose.
Except and to the extent provided in this Agreement, under no circumstances shall CSIRO Publishing be liable for any injury to person or damage to property or for any financial loss whether direct or consequential (including without limitation any loss of profits) arising from the supply or use of and/or reliance upon the results of the use of the product.
Use of digital content on this site is subject to the following terms and conditions. Further information on prices, consortia licences and multi-campus arrangements, etc., can be found at How to Order.
If a subscription lapses, CSIRO Publishing will provide customers with access to material for the years in which they held an online subscription. The material will be accessed either from the CSIRO Publishing server or from a third party server or by downloading electronic files to the institution´s server.
The following conditions apply to home use and distance education courses at institutions:
- Remote access is permitted to permanent and visiting staff and students connected via a modem to the institution´s registered IP addresses.
- Remote access is not permitted from more than one site or campus of a multi-campus institution unless a multi-campus licence is negotiated with CSIRO Publishing.
- Remote access to, and sharing of the online resource among, members of any type of regional consortium is not permitted without prior negotiation with CSIRO Publishing.
Individuals have the following access privileges:
- Individuals must not share their allocated user name and password.
- Only one concurrent session is allowed with the allocated user name and password.
- The individual must take reasonable measures to prevent unauthorised use of the allocated user name and password.
Institutions have the following access privileges:
- Access is granted to permanent or visiting staff, students and walk-in users of the institution´s library and computer networks.
- The institution must take reasonable measures to prevent unauthorised use of its IP addresses.
- There is no limit on the number of employees/students from the institution who may use a journal at any one time.
The following conditions apply to the use of digital content on this site:
- Authorised users may access material to download and print single copies of individual articles or parts of content for personal, non-commercial use and research.
- Multiple print copies can be made only under special permission from CSIRO Publishing or under licence from an authorised copyright-collecting society, including Copyright Clearance Center (US) and Copyright Agency Limited (Australia), subject to the payment of applicable fees.
- Retransmission, caching or networking of online versions is strictly prohibited.
Retransmission or networking of online versions of material obtained from this site is strictly prohibited. Interlibrary loans of paper versions of material obtained from this site are permitted in accordance with the Australian Copyright Act 1968.
Personal information collected by CSIRO Publishing is treated as confidential and is protected by the Privacy Act 1988. Personal information is information relating to an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion provided.
We only keep information required to deliver or to provide relevant information. You can contact us at any time to update the details held about you in our system, or to request to be taken off a mailing list.
Site Visit Data
This site is operated by CSIRO Publishing without the use of an external service provider. When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged. The following information is supplied by your browser, recorded for statistical purposes and used by CSIRO Publishing to help improve the site:
- User´s server address
- User´s operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc.)
- User´s top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- Date and time of the visit to the site
- Pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- Previous site visited
- Type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities, except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law- enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Collection of Personal Information
When we collect personal information from you for certain specific activities, where required, we will use a collection notice that deals specifically with that collection, including a description of the purposes for which we will use the personal information collected in that instance. Where relevant, our internal procedures and systems embed privacy protections to ensure we comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act
When you email us, we will:
- Record your email address
- Use your email address for the purpose for which you provided it
- Not disclose your email address without your consent, except where we may be required by law to disclose certain information.
Should you decide to use any of our online alerting services, we will:
- Only record your email address and area of interest
- Only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- Not add your address to another mailing list
- Not disclose this information without your consent, except where we may be required by law to disclose certain information.
If you are an author, editor or referee, we will:
- Record your contact details and areas of interest to contact you in order to fulfill your role
- Securely keep the content, reviews, and correspondance you supply in order to carry out our publishing activities that you are involved in
- Only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- Provide you with information that is relevant to your role with us
When you place an order, we will:
- Record your name and relevant addresses as required to confirm, bill and deliver your order
- Send you information on related products distributed by CSIRO Publishing. You can request to be taken off our mailing list at any time.
A cookie is a text string that is included with HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) requests and responses. Cookies are used to maintain state information as you navigate different pages on a website or return to the website at a later time. Cookies cannot be used to execute code (run programs) or deliver viruses to your computer.
Cookies are either stored in memory (session cookies) or placed on your hard disk (persistent cookies). CSIRO Publishing does not use persistent cookies.
Permission requests and all enquiries concerning rights to any of our products should be directed to:
Manager, Rights & Permissions
Locked Bag 10
Clayton South VIC 3169
Telephone +[61 3] 9545 8426
Fax +[61 3] 9545 8550
Web Web form