Blueprints for Tropical Dairy Farming
Increasing Domestic Milk Production in Developing CountriesBy: John Moran, Philip Chamberlain
Learn how to improve the welfare, milk quality and productivity of your dairy herds.
Blueprints for Tropical Dairy Farming provides insight into the logistics, infrastructure and management required for the development of small and large dairy farms in tropical developing countries. Farmers will learn how to improve the welfare, milk quality and productivity of their dairy herds. This book complements author John Moran’s five previous books on the principles of tropical dairy farming. + Full description
The manual covers a wide range of topics related to ensuring the sustainability of dairy production systems in tropical developing countries, such as South and East Asia, Africa and Central America. It also provides guidelines for the best management practices of large-scale, more intensive dairy systems. While smallholder farms are the major suppliers of milk in the tropics, many larger farms are becoming established throughout the tropics to satisfy the increasing demands for fresh milk.
Blueprints for Tropical Dairy Farming will be a valuable resource for farmers and stockpeople who want to improve the productive performance of their dairy herds, farm advisers who can assist farmers to achieve this aim, educators who develop training programs for farmers or who train dairy advisers in the basics of dairy production technology, and other stakeholders in tropical dairy production, such as local agribusiness, policy makers and research scientists. National and international agencies will learn new insights into the required long-term logistics for regional dairy development, while potential investors will acquire knowledge into intensive tropical dairy farming.- Short description
- Provides readers with a better understanding of the required infrastructures and management requirements to handle increasing supplies of raw milk.
- Provides national and international agencies with new insights into the required long-term logistics for regional dairy development.
- Provides potential investors with an insight into intensive tropical dairy farming.
CSIRO Publishing would like to thank the Crawford Fund whose generous financial support made the publication of this work possible.
About the authors
Other books and technical manuals by the senior author
Acknowledgment of The Crawford Fund
2. The diversity of dairy farming systems in tropical Asia
3. Addressing the key constraints to tropical dairy farming
4. Physical features on smallholder farms
5. Physical features on large scale farms
6. Managing the human resources on tropical dairy farms
7. Best management practices for smallholder dairy farmers
8. Best management practices on large scale, intensively managed dairy farms
9. Developing your observation skills
10. Addressing the problems of stock welfare
11. Introducing the concepts of farm business management
12. Regional smallholder dairy development programs
13. The final words
Abbreviations and glossary
Units of measurements
References and further reading
View the full table of contents.