Read and Publish
CSIRO Publishing supports a range of Open Access options including funded support. Researchers from institutions with Read and Publish agreements in place can publish articles as Open Access in a number of CSIRO Publishing journals without needing to pay Article Processing Charges (APCs).
These agreements are underpinned by fees funded by the institutions’ library enabling broader availability of Open Access publishing
- What authors need to know
- Participating institutions
- Eligible journals
- Benefits to institutions and libraries
To be eligible articles must be accepted within the term of the agreement, and we will keep this page up to date as new agreements and renewals are confirmed. Here’s how it works:
- Corresponding authors from an institution with an agreement in place can publish articles as Open Access in the eligible journals at no additional cost.
- An author's eligibility will be picked up by their institutional email address or Ringgold ID and instructions provided on how to set up their article as Open Access. More information on claiming OA can be found on our workflow page.
- Submission and peer-review will be conducted as it is done now through ScholarOne, to expected international standards.
Read and Publish agreements are in place for the following institutions. We will keep this page up to date as new institutions take up this opportunity.
Auckland University of Technology
Australian National University
Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation
Botanic Gardens of Sydney
Charles Darwin University
Charles Sturt University
Central Queensland University
Edith Cowan University
James Cook University
La Trobe University
Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research
National institute of Water Atmosphere Research (NIWA) NZ
NSW Department of Planning & Environment
Plant & Food Research NZ
Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Queensland Department of Environment and Science
Queensland University of Technology
Royal Botanic Gardens, Victoria
Southern Cross University
Swinburne University of Technology
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
University of Adelaide
University of Auckland
University of Canberra
University of Canterbury
University of Melbourne
University of Newcastle
University of New England
University of New South Wales
University of Notre Dame Australia
University of Otago
University of Queensland
University of South Australia
University of Southern Queensland
University of the Sunshine Coast
University of Sydney
University of Tasmania
University of Technology Sydney
University of Waikato
University of Western Australia
University of Wollongong
Victoria University of Wellington
WA Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
WA Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
Western Sydney University
The journals that are currently available under Read and Publish agreements are:
Australian Journal of Botany
Australian Journal of Chemistry
Australian Journal of Primary Health
Australian Journal of Zoology
Australian Systematic Botany
Crop and Pasture Science
Functional Plant Biology
Historical Records of Australian Science
International Journal of Wildland Fire
Marine and Freshwater Research
Pacific Conservation Biology
Papua New Guinea Medical Journal
Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria
Reproduction, Fertility and Development
The Rangeland Journal
The benefits of a Read and Publish agreement to participating institutions include:
- Corresponding authors can publish articles as Open Access in the above journals at no charge to them. They do not need to do anything, as eligibility will be flagged to them post-acceptance.
- The authors’ work published in these journals can be read worldwide without restriction or need for subscription authentication and the author or the authors’ institution can choose to apply a Creative Commons licence to the published article.
- The institution has continued access to read all full text articles published by CSIRO Publishing.
Finding a viable way to transition the publishing model to Open Access has the potential to greatly increase the reach of the research we publish, whilst maintaining the very highest standards of peer review and publishing practices.
For any queries about our Read and Publish agreements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about our Open Access options available to authors.